The Charles Mallory family has been in Mystic since 1816, and for 150 years a prominent shipping and shipbuilding family. Charles Mallory came to Mystic in 1816, having just completed his sailmaker apprenticeship in New London. Charles was hugely successful as whaling and shipbuilding grew in the village and by the 1860s he was one of Connecticut’s most prosperous ship owners. Many of his descendants continued involvement in the businesses till the 1940s.
There is lot of history on this family, even a book, well there is probably more than one! The Mystic Seaport has a sail loft exhibit dedicated to the Mallory's where you can see the tools of the sail making trade. The loft is still used to repair the Seaport's sails now and then. Also a good article found on the Mystic Seaport site chronicling the history of the family.
Jill and Matt gathered some nautical items from the workshop and arranged a photo shoot with the current owner. This great house, which still has some original furnishings, is located the next street over behind our shop! Currently the house rents out as a 7 bedroom, 4 1/2 bath rental.